Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Something new

There was a time in all of our lives when each day taught us something new. Or many things.
I do still learn things. Generally though, they are refinements of things I already know. I realize that learning something, to even have the possibility of discovering something entirely new, as an adult, on a daily level is fairly unlikely, but - with all the information at our disposal - shouldn't it be possible?

I'm not desirous of learning quantum physics, just a tidbit of something that hasn't been in my daily view.

I bet there's a website somewhere devoted to divulging something (randomly and daily of course) that you didn't know. Now, I don't want useless knowledge. I have plenty of that; I can flip a Snapple top and get that - No, I think I want to learn something new everyday, which could be useful.

Along those lines, I'm going to also listen to one new song, or (if classical) 'piece', of music per day. The advantage to a 'song' is that it shouldn't take much longer than 3:50 -- unless it's some pretentious band doing something pretentious. I'm not sure which retro-year we're in right now, so it is entirely possible that ELP-like, or Pink Floyd-like, or some other band that does hourlong 'songs' could be hot (with a different name and members). But I don't think so. Is Air still putting out albums? They were Pink Floyd, weren't they? And everyone knows that Oasis is the Beatles. Who is Jet?

I've really been trying to stay in touch with current music, but damn it - so much of it is soooo boring. Really, it is. I find my listening habits going backwards in time. Further and Further.

So - if you know of any cool new music, let me know.

Going to look at two places tomorrow. Fingers still crossed.

Later, when we have a new place, I'll write about some of the house hunt experience. Till then though, I don't want to jinx the search with cynical storytelling.

3 comments:

  1. If you want to compare AIR to PINK FLOYD(????) and Oasis to the BEATLES then I suppose Jet could be considered the STOOGES. But the 30 minutes long songs belong to the MARS VOLTA, and they totally rock. This summer though I have been wearing out my DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS cd ,the new GORILLAZ disc, and the WILLIE NELSON reggae album. btw did you ever pick a winner for your signed Ghosts of Edendale? Also since this is music related, is where you live the same place that Donald Fagen sings about in "MY OLD SCHOOL" by STEELY DAN? (CALIFORNIA CRUMBLES INTO THE SEA, THAT'LL BE THE DAY I GO BACK TO ?edendale?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably don't remember me but we used to talk alot back in the Mobil in Doylestown. I read this post and thought I would have to give props to my latest favorite band, and a philly local as well, CON. You can check out there website www.conmusic.com & if you want some more info on them check out my Blog, I have had alot to say about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Stefan,
    My favorite right now is Jack Johnson for laid back stuff with fun lyrics.
    If I'm feeling uppity - Maroon V.
    Country - Dixie Dregs - yea!

    Dykeman

    ReplyDelete