Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Sundance Screenwriters Lab letters are coming…

The Sundance screenwriter’s lab is sending their selection/rejection emails out.

How do I know? I just got one.

Yes, I entered the Sundance Screenwriting Lab for 2009 a couple months ago. I dutifully wrote my ideas for a brand new screenplay, updated my bio, wrote and rewrote a cover letter, a synopsis and the first five pages of the theoretical screenplay. I put it all in a manila envelope with some of my hard earned money and then with a quick kiss and wish for good luck, dropped in the mailbox.

Like anything where hope hinges on a few words, where mood and spirit can be raised or dashed in an instant -- clicking on this email does make the heart skip a beat. No matter how blasé one tries to be, there is a slight nervous tingle in the index finger pushing down on the mouse button. After all, as any knowledgeable screenwriter will tell you – this is a very important competition; the kind that can theoretically change a person's life.

Does one click on the mouse assuming a, “Thanks, but no thanks” response is about to be read?
Does one go in with the attitude that “The Secret” and all the other “power of positive thinking” gurus propose?
Does one go in saying to oneself, “I don’t care. It doesn’t matter.”
Does one petition a supernatural being?


My style is the, “Eh, doesn’t really matter. Just read the damn email and get on with your life.”



CLICK.


Dear Stefan:

Congratulations! Your submission, I AM THE PRISONER, has been chosen by our selection committee for the next round of the review process. Please send your completed script to the Sundance Institute office (see address below my name) so that it is received in our offices by Monday, July 21, 2008. Also, please include your application number xxx-xxx and name on the cover page of your screenplay.

We will make final decisions for the 2009 January Screenwriters Lab by mid-December. You will be notified by December 15th via e-mail.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via email.

Thanks again for your application; we look forward to reading the entire screenplay.

Sincerely,
Xxxxx xxxxxx


So that is what a “ray of sunshine” type of email looks like!

It also means that I now have to deliver a feature length screenplay within 19 days. Let’s see, if I estimate a page count of 110 pages (a safe number) that means having to write about 5.7 pages a day – every day.

That doesn’t include a re-write.
That doesn’t include a chance to give it to a friend for notes.
That doesn’t include much time for anything.

It’s a conscious thing these 'Sundance Powers that be' are doing. It puts writers on the spot, likely eliminating quite a few in the process.

It is a major order!

So, it looks like I have to seriously gear up, get it together and go.

I do have an outline written. I do also have the first five pages done.

I just purchased two large cans of Trader Joes House Blend Coffee. I'm ready!

Let the coffee start flowing, cancel any plans for vacation and full steam ahead.


Wish me luck!

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is Fantastic News, congratulations. Would it be possible to let us know what it is about when you finish? I am guessing you may have to sign a NDA but otherwise I'm sure us blog readers would be very interested. More importantly

    G O O D L U C K !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the wishes of luck.
    I'm gonna need it! It's a brutally tough thing to be accepted into.

    1750 people down to 12!

    Well, even if it gets no further than this, getting past the first wave is huge impetus to get this new script written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOHOO!!! And it's not even your Big Birthday yet!!! Congrats, Stefan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations with all my heart. Hande

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, have you heard from Sundance again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, hi! Hi, have you heard from Sundance again?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, congrats! have u heard from Sundance since?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck. I am in the same boat and the wait has been hell. Maybe I'll see you there...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I am waiting final word too...second year I made this round...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the letters are out 2 days ago or something! I was a finalist, but didn't make it to the lab.. Life goes on :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi, i'm trying to enter for the 2010 lab, and i was just wondering how you handled the cover letter? many cover letters are different, as well as ones for work.

    just wondering how you answered the cover letter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don,
    I would suggest these two things.

    Write an engaging letter. Don't be dull or "by the book". Get your ideas across in an entertaining way.

    And most important: if you have any names or connections to drop - drop 'em. If you know anyone who has been through the Sundance program, mention them. If you have a famous actor friend who might be interested in your project - mention it. You get the idea.

    The Sundance Institute gets a ton of letters. People who have the interest of other (famous, "pedigreed") people have the advantage.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. IS this really true? You have to have connections? And here I though they based their selections on the merit of the material submitted. I thought it was more about the writing/script idea than the names dropped. That is sad news.

    ReplyDelete
  15. no sweat stefan. u'll get'em next yr. Twuz' prolly the goatee that didn't appeal to'em.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Stefan,

    Thank you for your post! I am also in the second round of the lab and have until the 15th to get my screenplay in. Fortunately it's already written, unfortunately it's not up to par. I was wondering if you tried to preserve the first five pages in your second submission or whether you rewrote them. Do they care if the first five pages change? I wish you much luck in the next round!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have the emails for the 2010 January Lab gone out yet?

    ReplyDelete