Thursday, April 10, 2008

Crawl Forward

Life continues to be dramatic in its ups and downs. However, life goes on, doesn't it? The clock goes in one direction and we go with it.

The major facets of my personal life continue to be an unknown. That's all about that.

I am writing a new article for Fade in Magazine which will be in the next issue, barring editor disapproval. Another "social injustice of show business" story, I am hoping it will strike resonant chords with people both in this business and not.

Starting these stories is always a daunting prospect. One has a general thesis idea and hopefully some clear points, but the first paragraph, the sequence of events, the wrap up… and the quotes, the quotes, the quotes! Each quoted person represents hours of searching, locating, getting past gatekeepers, wrangling into agreeing to an interview, interviewing, transcribing—looking for the perfect statement (not to be used out of context). It's a lot of effort to be able to write, John Doe says, "I agree with you." Or, "You're full of crap."

That's where I am now. My questions have largely been compiled and now I'm creating my lists of targets for interview.

Oh, and it needs to all be ready for press by April 29th.

I also continue to work on my other projects: A new 3D trailer for The Diamond Chasers, a new screenplay for which an outline and a few pages are also due by May 1st.

Hollywood Gossip?

Not too much as I'm trying to stay focused on work. However, I did go to the wrap party for Speed Racer last night. Cool club, open bar (I didn't drink) and overall a bunch of happy people cutting loose—as can only be expected after round-the-clock-forget-what-your-family-looks-like work. I didn't actually work on the movie in any capacity; a friend had been on the special effects crew so I was a guest. I did get to meet and speak briefly with Emile Hirsch. Emile had been (and theoretically remains) a top choice for the lead in Diamond Chasers. However, with the way his career has taken off, it will most likely remain only a dream. I expect with the release of this movie, he will solidify the "screen icon" status in such a way that only top movies will be able to employ him. He's been working at it, so his super-stardom will not have been an overnight thing. If you haven't seen The Girl Next Door or Into the Wild, I do recommend them. It's a chance to see a star on the rise.
Christina Ricci - yup, Trixie was there too. Of course, the bosses themselves, the Wachowski Brothers, Andy and Larry were there looking content and confident. One thing Andy said, in complimenting some of the work everyone had done: "There's nothing out there like it." Coming from the guy that brought us The Matrix, it's an intriguing statement.

If only the heat lamps had worked better, because the dance floor was way too loud and most people, myself included, stayed outside on the huge patio. Though it is Los Angeles, it still does get chilly at 1:00 AM in April. I think the sad truth is that I will be reminded of this wrap party for the next week by a tickle in my throat and a sniffly nose.

Okay, time for me to go to work: pour a fresh cup of coffee, open up my questions.doc doc file, try to stay away from the 'relationship trouble' websites that I've been to a million times already, and focus on the job ahead.

Wish me luck and have a good one.


1 comment: