Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Next up -- SAG

My interviews have begun for the article I'm writing for Fade In Magazine. I have many more to do and so far, the task still has a daunting quality to it. Tomorrow morning (why aren't I sleeping now?) I'm going to the La Brea Tar Pits, where a rally will be taking place: "Hollywood to the Docks." Tomorrow is the beginning of the SAG (Screen Actor's Guild) negotiations. Hopefully the negotiations will go quickly and smoothly as these contracts, more than the Writer's Guild strike, are what screwed me up at the beginning of this year with my new movie (The movie, which requires expensive SAG actors, would not be bonded by insurance companies, nervous about a potential strike).

I don't think there will be any serious issues as this town really doesn't have the fortitude for another strike. But you never can tell—which is why the insurance companies weren't taking chances.

Today I interviewed an "A List" writer. In talking to him, I was really reminded, once again, that I have a long way to go before I'm in the major leagues. Hopefully, in writing this article, I can smooth some of the road ahead of me. It's been bumpy and full of potholes. It wears you out after a while.

In other interesting news: readers may remember an article I wrote last year about Foreign Levies. If not, there's a link to it in the right column of this blog. Well, today, The DGA (Directors Guild) settled the lawsuit. Here's a link to the story.

All these stories just keep reminding me of what a sordid and tough town Hollywood really is. You really have to be strong to survive. All the illusions (or delusions) one is taught in school or might believe in watching the Oscars, or some other awards show, are just well crafted, beautifully choreographed lies. It's not a town for wimps, that's for sure.

Okay, a quick entry… not very exciting. But I must sleep some so that I can be off to Wilshire blvd early tomorrow, my new digital voice recorder and questions in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment