Friday, February 23, 2007

Chat macros suck

My thrice a week blogs have been tardy, haven't they?

Okay, not much, here's something.

The website for ghostsofedendale.com has been down for the past four days. I checked the first day and was told that my isp was having server issues. They apologized and said it would be up again quickly. Now, three days later, I'm at the chat window again. I had planned to write a blog entry while the following chat transpired. I think instead I will just let you read the chat transcript. This took place over the course of 45 minutes – which is a great way to practice meditative techniques to prevent hurling things against walls.


 

  • Please wait for a site operator to respond.

    All operators are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. An operator will be with you shortly.

    You are now chatting with 'Darren G.'

    Darren G.: Thank you for contacting IPOWER Live Chat. How can I help you?

    stefan: www.ghostsofedendale.com doesn't work.

    Darren G.: I'll be happy to assist you.

    Darren G.: It seems that the status of your domain ghostsofedendale.com is clientHold

    stefan: what does that mean?

    Darren G.: Ok

    Darren G.: Please allow me a moment

    stefan: ?

    Darren G.: Ok

    Darren G.: The Domain is got renewed now

    Darren G.: You will be able to access your domain ghostsofedendale.com after 12-24 hours

    stefan: why did this happen? This is very uncool.

    Darren G.: After 12-24 hours you should able to access your domain

    Darren G.: Meanwhile you can access your domain by using temporary link http://host546.ipowerweb.com/~kfchildr/

    Darren G.: Is there anything else I can help you with?

    stefan: what happened to email people have sent in the last four days that it has been down?

    Darren G.: Ok

    stefan: and what the heck is this website you just sent me to?

    Darren G.: Ok

    Darren G.: Please keep changing the password, so that nobody can hack your site and upload and delete the files.

    stefan: are you telling me that the site was hacked?

    stefan: Please clarify what you are saying.

    stefan: ?

    Darren G.: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

    Darren G.: No

    Darren G.: Stefan we have renewed your website

    Darren G.: Your website is not hacked

    Darren G.: The status of your website was clientHold

    Darren G.: Now it is resolved now

    Darren G.: But it will take 12-24 hours to update

    stefan: two questions - what is client hold?

    stefan: why did you send me to this PITA website?

    stefan: Please understand, I was told three days ago that it was a server problem. This has been happening since the supposed auto-renewal of the domain (Feb 19th)

    Darren G.: Client/Registrar Hold is a domain name status. When doing a WHOIS search on a domain, you may find that it says Client Hold or Registrar Hold. This means that the domain name has expired (is in a suspended state). No matter what the expiration date shows, a client/registrar hold means that your domain has expired.

    Darren G.:

    Darren G.: Now it is resolved now

    stefan: this means that ipowerweb, which was supposed to take care of renewing the site, failed to do so in the appropriate time - which would explain why I just NOW received an autorenew confirmation.

    stefan: Do I need to take this up with anyone else?

    Darren G.: You can check it after 12-24 hours

    Darren G.: Stefan

    Darren G.: The issue is resolved now

    Darren G.: You need to wait for next 12-24 hours

    Darren G.: Meanwhile you can acecss your website by using temporary URL http://host546.ipowerweb.com/~kfchildr/

    stefan: What is this temporary url you keep telling me to go to?

    Darren G.: http://host546.ipowerweb.com/~kfchildr/

    Darren G.: You need to allow us next 12-24 hours

    Darren G.: Then you will be able to access your website by using your domain name

    Darren G.: Is there anything else I can help you with?

    stefan: I'm gonna have to say that I don't think there is anything else YOU can help me with.

    stefan: Generally, I have been happy with ipowerweb... This has been a very unsatisfying experience.

    Darren G.: I understand you are frustrated and I apologize for your inconvenience. I understand how you feel and will do my best to provide you with the best possible resolution.

    Darren G.: I have renewed your domain

    Darren G.: The problem resolved now

    Darren G.: But please allow us next 12-24 hours to update the status of your domain

    Darren G.: Is there anything else I can help you with?

    stefan: no

    Darren G.: Thank you for contacting IPOWER Live Chat.

    Darren G.: Enjoy your day.

    Darren G.: Good-bye.

    Chat session has been terminated by the site operator

Argh! – I never did find out why the heck he kept sending me to that url. Maybe he's an undercover vegetarian.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Stefan, I just saw Ghosts last night and my spare time at work has brought me here.

    In answer to your question, when a web host provides websites, often they host many domains on one server. I've got about 24 domains running on my server. On that one server there are multiple users and each user has their own website. You have an account on the server host546.ipowerweb.com with the username of kfchildr. Each user has their own website and yours is http://host546.ipowerweb.com/~kfchildr/.

    Now, obviously that's a mouthful to give to anyone as your website and not very marketable, so your host registered the domain name "ghostsofedendale.com" and pointed it to http://host546.ipowerweb.com/~kfchildr/. So, in actuality, that's your real website, while ghostsofedendale.com is just a shortcut to it.

    To be honest, I think that the guy you were chatting with was letting a chat program run on autopilot - his answers were entirely too scripted and generic, and when they were specific, they were full of typos.

    Good luck,
    Quentin

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if I'd noticed the title of your post was "Chat macros suck", I probably would have put 2 and 2 together and come up with an even number by realizing you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quentin - the rub is -
    http://host546.ipowerweb.com/~kfchildr/
    is not my site. :)
    It's some wacked PITA website about how horrible it is to eat meat.

    They didn't get anything right that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And also - thanks so much for watching Ghosts! we appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so that guy failed on all accounts - kinda makes you wonder if he was even working on your account at all.

    I'm fairly fascinated with social connections, and I wonder if you'd find it interesting that the movie you made in 2003 was eventually watched by me after checking it out from a public library in Northern Kentucky. Not such a small world after all.

    I would consider myself an extremely amateur digital video hobbyist - I contribute to local public access and dabble video editing and effects. That said, I was really impressed with the process of making movies digitally and found the documentaries on the disc surprisingly familiar and specific. For my own wedding we sent out a DVD instead of invitations with a movie trailer for the wedding (it parodied well known movie scenes) and even had a couple people throw away the disc thinking it was junk mail. That would be my biggest accomplishment in filming, so small potatoes at best.

    The movie took me a bit to get used to because of its format (I've seen very few digitally made movies, so it took a bit to adjust to the look and feel) but I'm sure that's a common remark. I'll admit to being a fairly shallow person in some regards, so plot themes and acting aren't areas I comment on unless I want to make myself look like a fool. That said, I enjoyed the music and sound (the earthquake was notable in that I didn't realize it was coming from the movie and actually thought there was a very low flying plane outside) and there were a number of "that's an interesting shot" comments throughout.

    I've got to ask though about writing or filming a "horror" movie. I've come to the believe that scary movies these days aren't "scary" anymore as much as they're "startling". Is this something that occurs in writing the screenplay ("phone rings loudly"), or is the screenplay written with a lean towards "eerie and unsettling" scenes and then post production ramps up the "boo!" moments?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yo Stefan, How's it going. You may remember me from way back. I got you into a program called sound forge a long time ago when it first came out. I am friends with your brother Andre. I hung out with you guys when you were doing the last broadcast.

    Anyhow, I was posting a page about how horrible IpowerWeb.com is, and I saw your name. Funny. Hope things are going well with you guys. Glad to see you are still doing the movies. You have allot of talent.

    Hey if you need help with the web, let me know. I have about 50 sites of my own and dozens I maintain for my clients.

    Tell your brother I said hi.
    -Ray Johnson

    ReplyDelete